I used to work full-time in digital marketing, and I decided to take a personal retreat to get clear on things like blog niche, going into the self, and more – especially, how to start with why.
I went to Beaufort, South Carolina, which is near the basic training headquarters of the US Marine Corps.
Then, I rented a freeman’s cabin, and worked for a week with the book “Start With Why” by Simon Sinek.
In the book, author Simon Sinek talks about how most people start with WHAT they want to do.
Few start with HOW they want to go about doing something.
But the elite, best organizations and people are instructed to start with WHY they are putting skin in the game.
When you identify your WHY – your core motivator – then the HOW becomes evident, and then WHAT you are doing is instantly revealed.
What does this have to do with blog niches?
We’ll cover this next.
It helps if you are familiar with your lifelong hobbies and interests if you want to start a blog, as well.
Later, you will choose big referral programs to promote because you started with why.
Start With Why You Want To Blog
Most people start with WHAT.
They want to blog.
But WHY? Start there instead.
Here are my top 5 reasons for starting a blog.
WHY Do I Want To Start A Blog
- To Find Meaning In Adding Value To People’s Lives
- To Earn Income Through Teaching About Blogging
- Mostly, To Prove I Can Do This
- To Prove My Competence To The Community
- To Be A Value-Add To My Community And The Internet
Next, you go into the HOW of starting a blog.
HOW Do I Take Action To Start My Blog?
- I research my blog niche to get clear on what I’m writing about.
- Then, I research my audience to get clear on who I’m writing to.
- I write often, sometimes up to 5-6 articles a day.
- I do mind-mapping to identify keywords and topics that make sense for my blog.
Finally, do the WHAT to get clear on what you’re doing.
WHAT Do I Do To Start My Blog
- I am starting a blog to help others achieve success making money blogging online.
- I am outlining all the articles to write early.
- Well, I am publishing blog content that will reach readers and search engines.
- I am crafting digital content that inspires and causes action.
- I am posting about blogging.
If you had started with the last entry, “I am posting about blogging”, do you think I’d have nearly as much insight into the game of starting a blog?
Obviously, that’s what we’re doing, but by starting with Why, and then going into the How, I can get so much insight that when I get to What, I already know what I’m doing.
It’s a simple 3-minute exercise, and I hope you Start With Why for your blog creation, too.
Or for anything else, too.
Ready to Start With Why And Start Your Blog Right Now?
If you are up for the fight of starting a blog and getting your posts read by crowds of people, then the first thing you need is WordPress hosting.
When we got started blogging around 10 years ago, we chose BlueHost for our WordPress hosting.
We loved BlueHost, mostly because it worked!
I could install WordPress easily, get my blogs online, and even make money by writing blog articles about the stuff I loved.
Managed WordPress hosting is fairly new.
Our experience is positive, and we find it’s fast, reliable, and a nice upgrade.
My personal retreat in South Carolina led me to the book “Start With Why”.
As I worked on my life, I realized that starting with WHY is crucial to developing insight about what you’re really up to.
Elite organizations all start with Why, to gain insight into their bigger purpose.
First, outline your WHY for starting a blog.
Second, outline your HOW for starting a blog.
Third, outline your WHAT for starting a blog, in that order.
It also helps you get clear on your blog audience.
By doing this exercise, you’ll get clear about your blog niche, and you’ll have a purpose-driven blog that gets you to your sales metrics.
Thank you for reading, and be sure to check out my related articles!