Many people looking to start profitable blogs ask the question, “how much does it cost to start a WordPress blog?”
To be sure, many of the bloggers answering this question on the internet are going to tell you the following:
It costs $2.95 a month to start a blog on BlueHost.
Now, that carries its share of truth.
However, BlueHost is not your only expense when you start a blog.
In fact, it is only your first and most important expense.
In this article, we are going to talk about all the various expenses that come with starting a profitable blog, starting with BlueHost.
Sign Up for Web Hosting with HostGator, BlueHost, Kinsta or WP Engine
What is the cost to start a WordPress blog, with respect to web hosting?
Buying web hosting is often the first step for people who want to start a profitable WordPress blog.
Here are the expenses. Choose one of these 4 WP hosting options:
- WP Engine – $20+ a month
This gets you a free domain name, and a 1 click installation of WordPress.
Kinsta is $35 a month for 1 WordPress website, and $115 a month for 5 WordPress blogs.
WP Engine is $20 a month for 1 WordPress website, and $77 a month for 10 WordPress blogs.
Thus, hosting your WordPress blog – the first step in how to start a blog – costs between $36 a year and $1,000+ a year.
We recommend you start with BlueHost.
- For $100, Which Web Hosting Is Best For A Blogger?
- Kinsta vs WP Engine: What Is The Difference Between The Two?
- What Is The Best Web Hosting For Small Business?
- HostGator vs BlueHost: Which Is Better For Bloggers?
- Can BlueHost Be Good For Small Business Web Hosting
- What Is The Best Web Hosting For Beginner Bloggers?
- Does Free Web Hosting For Bloggers Really Exist…
- Shared And Managed WordPress Hosting: What’s The Difference?
- Why You Should Choose WordPress Web Hosting
Get Your WordPress Themes from StudioPress with Genesis Pro
What is the cost to start a WordPress blog, with respect to WordPress themes?
Next, you will want to choose a WordPress theme.
To be sure, there are thousands of free WordPress themes that you can choose from.
However, many of you will want to splurge and get a premium WordPress theme collection.
We have found that the cost of $360 a year for Genesis Pro is reasonable, and there is a bonus.
The savings of $360 a year make the $240 a year for hosting next to free.
- Why Genesis Pro Has The Best WordPress Themes
- Which WordPress Theme Is Best For Blogging?
- For WordPress Themes With Sidebar, Try The Genesis Framework
- WordPress Themes For Business: Why Genesis Pro Is Best
- WordPress Themes For Blogs: Try Genesis Pro
- Which WordPress Theme Is Best For SEO?
- Genesis Pro Review: Should I Buy Genesis Pro?
- Choose A Free vs Premium WordPress Theme
Make Sure You Get Email Marketing to Integrate Opt-In Forms and Generate New Subscribers
Next, you will want to get an email marketing plan to integrate with your WordPress blog.
There are many email marketing companies, but our favorite – and the one we use – is ConvertKit.
What is the cost to start a WordPress blog with email marketing included?
ConvertKit costs $10 a month for up to 1,000 email subscribers.
For 5,000 email subscribers, ConvertKit costs $66 a month.
This is an expense, but when you gain knowledge of how to monetize your blog and email list, then $66 is a drop in the bucket.
Many blog owners make thousands of dollars a month from their email list, by sending emails to their subscribers about affiliate offers – such as ConvertKit, which has a lucrative affiliate program!
That $66 a month can turn into hundreds or thousands of dollars a month in revenue when you send emails to affiliate offers, or your eBooks and courses.
You will need to have opt-in forms on your blog to convert readers into blog subscribers, and ConvertKit is the most affordable and high-performance option with excellent opt-in forms.
It is made for bloggers, publishers, and online marketers.
So, to sum it all up, ConvertKit costs $10 a month to start, and $66 a month for 5,000 subscribers.
- Why Blogging Consistently Is The Key To Blogging Success
- How You Should Structure Your Site With WordPress Pages
- WordPress Pages vs Posts – What’s The Difference?
- How To Optimize Your Blog Post With All In One SEO
- How To Write A Blog Post On WordPress
- Convert Blog Visitors Into Subscribers With OptinMonster
- How To Create A Beautiful Contact Page With WPForms
- How Much Does It Cost To Start A WordPress Blog?
- Also, How To Optimize Your Blog Posts With Yoast SEO
- Blog Analytics: How To Use Google Site Kit
- How To Keep Track Of Blog Analytics With MonsterInsights
Add SEO to your Blog Mix with Semrush, SpyFu, and All-in-One SEO Pro
Now, SEO tools can be expensive.
But the offers we are sharing with you make a big difference to your blog performance.
What is the cost to start a WordPress blog with respect to SEO?
Let us start with Semrush.
Semrush costs $240 a month and has a 7-day free trial.
Semrush lets you do SEO analysis, keyword analysis, backlink analysis, and much more.
With respect to content, Semrush gives you an SEO Writing Content tool, that gives you all the additional keywords you need to place in your blog to get ranked #1 on Google.
Next, SpyFu is an excellent SEO alternative.
SpyFu is used for gaining access to your competitor’s keywords.
Now, you will know which keywords they are using for web articles as well as for Google advertising.
Thus, you can see which keywords are most profitable, and that is where you would then direct your attention.
SpyFu costs $39 a month, and there is also a $16 a month version for the lite version.
Next, All-in-One SEO Pro costs between $99 and $299 a year, and the $299 a year version gets you plenty of blog traffic for an excellent price.
Finally, Surfer SEO helps you do on-page optimization for your blog posts, for $69 a month.
When you add up all these costs, getting SEO on your blog costs as little as $99 a year, or as much as $300 a month.
Google Analytics Is Free, But Have You Tried MonsterInsights?
What is the cost to start a WordPress blog, with respect to analytics?
Finally, you will want to install Google Analytics on your blog.
Google Analytics is free, and gives you access to a beautiful dashboard of data that lets you gain insight into your blog’s performance.
Now, sometimes Google Analytics can be difficult to set up.
For those of you having trouble – or simply because you want to upskill – there’s MonsterInsights Pro.
The analytics are very detailed with many different options, and we highly recommend using it.
We use MonsterInsights Pro ourselves with Quick Blog Profit.
So, analytics should cost you only $99 a year with MonsterInsights Pro.
- How To Install WordPress For Beginners
- How To Install A WordPress Plugin For Your Blog
- Also, How To Install A WordPress Theme For Bloggers
- Start A WordPress Blog With HostGator
- Start A WordPress Blog On BlueHost
- Also, Start A WordPress Blog On Kinsta
- Start A WordPress Blog On WP Engine
- How Much Does It Cost To Start A WordPress Blog?
- How To Write A Blog On WordPress
When you add it all up, you are factoring in these purchases to start a WordPress blog:
- Web hosting – $2.95 a month to $1000+ a year – BlueHost
- Email Marketing – $10 a month to start, or $66 a month with 5,000 subscribers – ConvertKit
- Analytics – FREE to $99 a year – MonsterInsights Pro
Adding up all these expenses, the cost to start a WordPress blog is around $1,000 to $5,000 a year.
That is the honest answer.
If you are ready to start a WordPress blog, then check out these handy resources listed above.